The ATO has released its latest taxation determination on reasonable travel expenses, and it includes a big change for employee truck drivers.
For the 2017/18 income year, the reasonable amount for travel expenses (excluding accommodation expenses, which must be substantiated with written evidence) of employee truck drivers who have received a travel allowance and who are required to sleep away from home is $55.30 per day (formerly a total of $97.40 per day for the 2016/17 year).
If an employee truck driver wants to claim more than the reasonable amount, the whole claim must be substantiated with written evidence, not just the amount in excess of the reasonable amount.
- New FBT rates for the 2018/19 FBT year
- Continued ATO focus on holiday home rentals
- Get ready for Single Touch Payroll
- No need to actually 'downsize' for ‘downsizer contributions’
- Inactive ABNs will be cancelled by the ATO
- Super guarantee payable on ‘public holidays’ and ‘additional hours’
- New superannuation rates and thresholds released
- Taskforce to help digitise small business
- ATO warning regarding small business record-keeping
- Further 'affordable housing' measures passed